Ellipsoid in Mma

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg7470] Ellipsoid in Mma
  • From: "John K.C. Lewis" <court at>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jun 1997 01:35:56 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

In using the linear regression standard package, one finds that
as an option, Regress will give the confidence ellipsoid for fitted
parameters. However, "Ellipsoid" is not well documented; in fact, a
two-dimensional confidence ellipse is mentioned but no more than that.
"Ellipsoid" is apparently recognized as a graphics primitive by Graphics
but not by Graphics 3D. What does one do with the information contained
in "Ellipsoid"? There are
several different methods to parametrize an ellipsoid, and I can't find
any indication of which one is used. I have looked in the Mathematica
3.0 book, the online help for Mma 3.0, and in the "Guide to Standard
Mathematica Packages Version 2.2".

My thanks if you can assist; my apologies if I've overlooked something

John K.C. Lewis
Department of Physics & Physical Oceanography
Memorial University of Newfoundland
St. John's, NF
Canada A1B 3X7.

FAX: (709) 737-8739