Re: groups

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg7521] Re: groups
  • From: hibbarda at (Al Hibbard)
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 23:17:54 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

In article <5n32bg$dng at>, wself at (Will Self) writes:
>I would like a function that accepts as inputs some permutations of
>{1, 2, 3, . . . , n} and returns the group generated by them.
>Will Self

Presumably you mean the subgroup of S_n generated by some
permutations. The good news is that I have an answer for you, in this
case. The bad news is that the Mathematica code is not presently
available for public consumption.

Ken Levasseur and I are finishing a 5 year project called Exploring
Abstract Algebra with Mathematica. We have written several packages to
do abstract algebra and one includes the functionality desired by this
question. We have written a collection of labs for group and ring
theory that are built on these packages (which will be published).
Although the underlying packages will be made publicly available, we
are unfortunately not ready to release them at this point.

If you have further interest in this project, feel free to peruse the
home page for this project:

Al Hibbard Central College