How do I use BooleanSelect?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg6390] How do I use BooleanSelect?
  • From: jason at (jason welter)
  • Date: Sat, 15 Mar 1997 01:21:33 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

BooleanSelect is a function in the DataManipulation.m add on package
in Statistics.  It doesn't seem to work.  Here's some background on it
as well as TakeWhile which does work:

"BooleanSelect[list, sel] keeps elements of list for which the
corresponding element of sel is True."
Attributes[BooleanSelect] = {Protected, ReadProtected}

"TakeWhile[list, pred] takes elements from the beginning of list while
pred is True."
Attributes[TakeWhile] = {Protected, ReadProtected}

Here is some test data I have been using to explore these functions:

testa = {1,2,3,4,-2,y,6,7};

The function TakeWhile works in the following way:

Boolean Select does not:

What I really need is a working function like BooleanSelect that will
let me sort through arrays, like "testb".  I need to screen out all
groups in testb that either have -2 or -200 as an element.  For

There must be a way.  What is it?