Re: Using subscripts in variable _names_!!!

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg6256] Re: [mg6104] Using subscripts in variable _names_!!!
  • From: Jason Harris <jasonh>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Mar 1997 01:29:11 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Hi Guy,

In article <5elugs$3g6 at>, delamart at
(Guy Delamarter) wrote:

> My department has finally purchased and installed Mathematica 3.0 and
> I was looking forward to using variable names that LOOKED like the
> variables I use in and read from technical documents.  However, it
> appears that Mathematica assumes that subscripts are array indicies.
> I would gladly give up the ability to use subscripts as array
> addressing and use square brackets instead, if I could then use
> subscripts to denote unique names.For example, I would like it so R_{sub}
>is a
> totally independent variable from R_{x}.

I wrote the Notation package that ships with Mathematica 3.0. It will allow
you to easily do this. There is a demonstration of the package under the
help browser Demos -> Notation Maker.

You load the package with <<Utilities`Notation`

Just see the documentation and you will see how to symbolize R\_x Then it
is a simple matter to use this in a definition e.g.

You really need WYSIWYG email to read this :) but just paste it into
Mathematica and it looks nice.

There is an update to the Notation package which is about to be announced
by me at (The code is complete but
the documentation might change a little.)