Re: Re: Problems with TimeConstrained in Win3.1

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg6400] Re: [mg6380] Re: Problems with TimeConstrained in Win3.1
  • From: fransm at (Frans Martens)
  • Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 19:25:13 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

In the version of Mma from the attached letter the function
TimeConstrained is not defined!

Frans Martens
The Netherlands

Martin Schloemer wrote:

> we tried to use Timeconstrained in Mathematica 2.2 under win3.1 but
it did
> not work. we need to factorize big numbers and if it takes too long
we want
> mathematika to abort the process. we want to do it in a table that
we can
> factorize more than 2000 random numbers.
> we have no idea what went wrong. someone else tried the same on
> computer that does not use windows. And it worked. now we think
that it
> could be a difference between the mathematica version under Windows
> and the one for Unix. Or is it just a different timeformat?
> if we use timing, it works.

> please help me if you can.

I cannot help you with your TimeConstrained problem. Here is some
information that may be useful if you have access to version 3 of
Mathematica. Setting the FactorComplete option of FactorInteger to
will disable the last and typically most time-consuming steps in a
factorization. Moreover, these last parts are now substantially
that in previous versions. Depending on the size of your random
(and the speed of your machine), you may or may not want to take
advantage of this option setting.

Daniel Lichtblau
Wolfram Research
danl at