3D Plots

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg6422] 3D Plots
  • From: seanross at worldnet.att.net
  • Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 00:52:18 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

The function ListPlot has the ability to take in a 1-D list,
which it plots versus array element number or to take in an array of
ordered pairs, which it interprets as x and y coordinates of points.
The function ListPlot3D does not have the corresponding ability.  I am
looking for a way to plot lists of ordered triplets representing {x,y,z}
coordinates as surfaces or just points.
	I found a function in the package Graphics`Graphics3D` called
ListSurfacePlot3D which advertises to do just what I want, but I can
only get it to work for the simple examples in the Mathematica book.
For anything I want to plot, the aspectratio and viewpoint do not
function normally and the plot comes out warped, microscopic in a huge
otherwise blank field, strangely twisted,two dimensional or otherwise
unsatisfactory.  There seem to be two new graphics options ViewCenter
and ViewVertical which somehow butcher the plots even further.  Anyway,
I can't seem to grasp how to get nice looking plots.
	Does anyone know of a way to plot lists of {x,y,z} data with the
ease in output of ListPlot3D?

One of my test cases was:

lpt=Table[{x,y,30Exp[-(x^2-y^2)/.001]},{x,-.0005,.0005,.00005},{
      y,-.0005,.0005,.00005}];
ListSurfacePlot[lpt];

The plot looks wonderful if I replace the 30 with a small number like
one or two.  The plot is totally unrecognizeable for a large number like
2000.  Any ideas?