Re: Graphics`Graphics3D`Shadow

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg7109] Re: [mg7092] Graphics`Graphics3D`Shadow
  • From: Fabian Haas <b5hafa at rz.uni-jena.de>
  • Date: Sun, 11 May 1997 02:57:10 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

>Hi MathGroupers,
>
>The Shadow command in the standard add-on package Graphics`Graphics3D`
>allows you to do a 3D plot with projections onto the co-ordinate planes.
>I would like to do the following:
>
>(1) Color the plot and the projections differently so as to distinguish
>    them, and
>
>(2) Project the plot onto different planes.
>
>Can anybody help me?
>Thanks a lot.
>
>Chee

Well, yes, there is a non documented option allowing you to choose the plane of projection. Try to unveil it with ??Shadow, or Options / Full options or look it up in the Package itself.
I dont know about different colors but I assumes it works like PlotStyle options or so.

My experience with Shadow are not that good, it is surprisingly slow. You might try this

k = Line[ {{a,b,c}, {...}   }];
projectionk =  Line[ {{a,b,c}, {...}   }]/.{x_, y_, z_}->{x, y, 0}

Show[ Graphics3D[ {k, projectionk}]]

That is much faster and now you can easily choose intto which plane you project. Also you can exchange the 0 by some differnt value, found by Min, Max or arbitrarily chosen.
But watch out if you Line consists of three points, then the replacement rule is applied wrongly.

Cheers
Fabian

Dipl.Biol. Fabian Haas, MPhil
Institut für Spezielle Zoologie und Evolutionsbiologie
Erbertstr. 1
D-07743 Jena
Deutschland / Germany
TEL  ++ 49 361 630 424