Input using palettes

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg7147] Input using palettes
  • From: Robert <100706.1310 at compuserve.com>
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 01:57:46 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi everyone,

I have some V2.2.2 notebooks which perform calculations which would be useful to
collegues who do not use Mma. One thought, given the new Mma3 interafce, is to
hide the code and then prompt the novice user to enter the input data via
palettes which use, for example, an    Input["prompt"]   function to prompt for
the data in a dialogue box. The idea being, the user just clicks on buttons,
which lead to prompts for the input data. Presumably the evaulation of the
notebook can just be a matter of pressing another Button. I haven't seen any
examples in the Help, and was hoping someone may have an example which they
would be willing to send me?

One thing i have not worked out is how you hide the   In:=    code from the Out.
The obvious example being Plot[] input which can look very messy once you have
'tarted up' the results with changes for fonts, AspectRatios etc. Is there a way
of seeing just the Graphics and not the code that created it ?

Closing out my earlier comments on Subscripts, thanks to those of you who
pointed to Symbolise and Notation. These seem a bit like 'bull bars' on a
Ferrari for my uses so I ended up just leaving the subscripts on the same
'level' and changed them to a smaller font size. Not perfect, but good enough.
Wolfram please add a simple Option for 'dead' subscripts in the next version.

Finally, does anyone know when v3.1 will arrive. The v3.0 frontend is very
buggy, and, as noted by another MathGroup user, prevents us from enjoying the
productivity benefits of what is a very fine product.

Kindest regards to all