Re: Book recommendation for engineers

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg9441] Re: [mg9337] Book recommendation for engineers
  • From: Mario Sancho Graca <mario_sancho.graca at virgin.net>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Nov 1997 01:56:58 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Van Graves wrote:

> I'm a new Mathematica user and am looking for a good Mathematica 3.0
> tutorial/reference book geared toward engineering. I've been using the
> Kaufmann book "Mathematica as a Tool", which seems to be pretty good,
> although not written for 3.0.  I am specifically interested in
> "Mathematica for Scientists and Engineers" by Bahder.  I haven't seen
> this one in local/university bookstores and was wondering if anyone who
> has used it would care to give an opinion. Any other recommendations
> would also be appreciated.

> Van Graves
> OAK RIDGE NATIONAL LABORATORY                E-mail: gravesvb at ornl.gov
> P.O. Box 2008, Bldg 7601, MS 6304            Phone: (423) 576-6462 Oak
> Ridge, Tennessee 37831-6304              Fax:   (423) 576-4663

I use Bahder, Mathematica for Scientists and Engineers, Addison Wesley,
1995. The book can be very useful for the intended audience. The
ordering and contents of the chapters deserve some explanation: the
first 7 chapters look at the Mathematica system in itself, showing the
broadness of its tools. Bahder shows his understanding of the nuances
of the Mathematica kernel, something which can be very rewarding for
the reader, of whatever field. However, the actual use of the system
for the traditional areas of engineering analysis is largely delayed
until chapter 8. From chapter 11 to the end the author explains and
illustrates the input and output facilities of Mathematica, the design
of packages, and the use of MathLink. Throughout the book the
exposition is always accompanied by parallel Mathematica sessions and
code. Depending on your past knowledge of Mathematica, your interests
and time, you may start at either of these three parts of the book. I
recommend it --- it is a valuable and long-standing source.

Mario Sancho Graca

University of Warwick		Email: mario_sancho.graca at virgin.net Department
of Engineering	Fax: +44 (0)1203 418922 Coventry CV4 7AL
United Kingdom