Re: Getting the Update!!

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg9492] Re: Getting the Update!!
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Nov 1997 23:04:25 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Peter wrote:

> whoa---- i was up until 3am last night trying to fiddle with miktex,
> ghostscript and eps graphics produced by Mathematica.   i thought it
> was miktex (or my buggy latex code), but decided it was the eps file.

Again, updating your copy of Mathematica will not necessarily solve the
problems you are encountering with Mathematica exported EPS graphics.

If you are using Mathematica 3.0.0.x, and you are generating EPS files
with the front end menu command Edit -> Save Selection As -> EPS, then
you can get vaild PostScript with a legitimate bounding box by
downloading and installing an updated version of the file
PostScriptHeader.tr.  See the FAQ page at URL:

http://www.wolfram.com/support/Graphics/Formats/EPS/FrontEndFix.html

for more information.

This fix is not relevant for EPS files generated with the kernel command
Display[ ] as this uses a different method for creating the EPS.

The next issue that will arise with exported graphics depends on whether
your generated graphic makes use of the special Mathematica fonts.
This will be the case if you use any grouping symbol  (parenthsis,
bracket, or brace), Greek character, or mathematical symbol.  Whatever
is responsible for interpreting and rendering the PostScript, be it
ghostscript, a front end to ghostscript (like GSView32), or a
PostScript-supporting printer, MUST be aware of how to draw these
fonts.  Otherwise you will get strange  substitutions, most likely the
Courier font characters with the same character codes.

If you are using a PostScript printer, you will need to have the printer
download the fonts into memory or place them on an external storage
device (if your printer supports this option).  See the tech support
FAQ pages:

http://www.wolfram.com/support/Systems/All/ManualFontDownload.html

If you are using ghostscript, you must edit the Fontmap file that tells
Ghostscript where to find the Type 1 font files needed to  draw the
characters.

See the FAQ page at URL:

http://www.wolfram.com/support/Graphics/Formats/EPS/Ghostscript.html

for detailed instructions on how to do this under Unix or Windows.

--
P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group           paulh at wolfram.com Wolfram