RE: variable problems

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg9528] RE: [mg9512] variable problems
  • From: jmthomas <jmthomas at cybercable.tm.fr>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 01:39:57 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

What you wrote is more or less the same as:
f[aSymbol_]:=Set[aSymbol,"this value"] When you evaluate f with a
symbolic argument, this symbolic argument is then set to "this
value". From this point of view, your goal (how can I modify the
value of a parameter  of a function inside the declaration of the
function) is achieved. But you get an error message if you try to
evaluate f with an argument that is not purely symbolic:
f[1] will lead to 1="this value", and generate the "cannot set to raw
 object message.
You could then write:
f[aSymbol_Symbol]:=(whatever your symbol should become) and have
another definition for f, generating an error message in the  case
aSymbol has been previously set to a value.

Conseil et Audit en Ingnierie de Calcul jmthomas at cybercable.tm.fr
www.cybercable.tm.fr/~jmthomas