Re: mg9453

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg9578] Re: mg9453
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 01:40:38 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Rui Batista wrote:

> http://www.wolfram.com/cgi-bin/mathgroup/1997/Nov/154
>
> Does this bug exist for 3.1 on Solaris 2.5(sparc). I've notice in the
> message boxes that there is mention of font error.... though at this
> point (with time constraints) I've not paid too much attention to them.
> Though some times I have problems printing (i.e.. Lines overlap.... I
> know this is a bug, bug again I haven't had time to investigate yet.

A couple of clarifications are necessary here:

1) The issues described here are not bugs per se.  Item (1) is a
   correction for users who get confused about where to execute
   font path updates.  The instructions are also spelled out in
   the "Interfacing with your Computing Environment" section of
   the booklet _Getting Started with Mathematica under Unix and
   X_ that comes with the Mathematica 3.0 distribution medium.
   Item (2) discusses problems that a user might encounter when
   attempting to run Mathematica in a windowing environment that
   cannot support the scaling of outline fonts.

2) Mathematica 3.1 is not a shipping product.  Currently Mathematica
   is shipping at release 3.0.1.x.  Perhaps you are referring to this
   version?

The problem with Sun workstations that I mentioned in the earlier  post
is limited to OpenWindows under SunOS 4.1.x.  It does not exist under
X11 for any release of SunOS.  It does not exist under Solaris 2.4 -
2.6.

However, there may be a problem when trying to run Mathematica  under
the Common Desktop Environment, which is becoming the standard X Window
interface for Sun, HP, IBM RS/6000, and DEC-AXP.  I believe that CDE
has also been ported to Linux.  The problem is that  Mathematica is
unable to properly interpret the default CDE font structs, so you will
see error messages of the form:

Warning: Cannot convert string
"-dt-interface-system-medium-r-normal-s*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*"" to type
FontSet Warning: Unable to load any useable fontset Warning: Cannot
convert string
"-dt-interface-system-medium-r-normal-s*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*:" to type
FontList Memory fault(coredump)

issued from the shell where you launched the front end.  The problem, we
believe, stems from the presence of a colon at the end of some of the
font structure names.

The fix is to override the selection of the system fonts with a standard
X font.  You can do this by adding the following resource setting to
your .Xdefaults file in your home directory:

XMathematica*fontList: -*-helvetica-bold-r-*-*-*-120-*-*-*-*-*-*

or you can copy the XMathematica file in

	SystemFiles/FrontEnd/SystemResources/X

to your home directory and set the font from the analogous line
therein.

I suspect that this is the problem you're encountering.

If you continue to run into troubles, or if I have somehow misunderstood
your question, please let me know.

--
P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group		paulh at wolfram.com Wolfram Research,