Question regarding the output of NDSolve

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg9573] Question regarding the output of NDSolve
  • From: Wretch <arc at astro.columbia.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 01:40:33 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Suppose you use NDSolve to generate numerical solutions to a set of
coupled ODEs with 4 dependent variables, say.  The output is in the
form of an interpolating function.  My question is how to manipulate
the output.

I called the vector of solutions SOLUTIONS, which has dimensions of
{1,4}.  The index running from 1-4 defines the dependent  variables
a,b,c,d, respectively.

I want to extract
the minimum and maximum values of each particular solution.  I tried the
command

minimum = Min[c /. SOLUTIONS[[1,3]] ]

but this didn't work.  Nor did the simpler attempt

minimum = Min[c /. SOLUTIONS ]

Thanks,

Alex