Is Mathematica 3.0 book a good book/Manual? Re: Book recommendation

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg9648] Is Mathematica 3.0 book a good book/Manual? Re: Book recommendation
  • From: sergio at scisun.sci.ccny.cuny.edu (Sergio Rojas)
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 19:50:04 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

richard j. gaylord (gaylord at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu) wrote:
: In article <64fh6e$c6s$5 at dragonfly.wolfram.com>, "Sherman.Reed"
: <sherman.reed at worldnet.att.net> wrote:

: > 3. Mathematica is not for the faint hearted, it a serious and
: > complicated computer based algebra tool for engineers and scientists
: > who want  to push the frontier, and are willing to pay the price for
: > success.

: my experience is that if you don't take the right approach, it can
: indeed be difficult - but then its kind of difficult to reach
: california by driving east from the midwest too  :)

   No doubt almost everyone will follow the hard way when using a "tool"
   to do "something" IF the "tool"'s user documentation is not clear
enough
   or poorly written. For instance, Driving in New York City is a real
   challenge to the occasional tourist, and the reason is due to the
poor
   system of trafic management ( missing and badly placed signs, broken
   lights, cab drivers doing whatever comes to theirs mind, etc ).

   From time to time I used to say to anyone who ask me quetions about
   mathematica " I haven't been confronted with that situation yet, but
   let's look at the manual to see what is in there". The almost
frequently
   response is: " I already look at the bible, but it does not say
anything
   clear about it" or, "after reading that section, I became more
confuse".
   So, I may still ask: How much money should one spend in documentation
   understand how Mathematica works?

   Besides other things, I have learned (to some degree of
self-satisfaction)
   Fortran, C, and Unix throgh theirs respective manuals, and I have had
   use secondary source of information when trying to use fancy
capabilities
   of such programs. From these three programming tools, Unix has been
the
   hardest one, until I decided to use Mathematica in my work. The man
   pages of Unix are usually incomprehensible to this mortal.

   In my view, Mathematica online help (for Unix) is a waste of hard
drive, and
   the Mathematica 3.0 book which "is intended to be a complete
introduction to
   Mathematica, ..., assuming no prior knowledge of the system, ..., and
makes
   it easy for you to learn the part you need for a particular
calculation ,
   ..., bla bla bla", need to be redisigned completely. It is a manual?
   It is a books that shows how to use the tool? What is it?  Look for
example
   the many posts questioning what is said in the book about
manipulating
   different graphics formats with Mathematica.

Cheers,
Sergio