Merging InterpolatingFunctions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg9660] Merging InterpolatingFunctions
  • From: Christian Zemlin <christian at satchmo.physik.tu-berlin.de>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 01:30:58 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

I have a set of InterpolatingFunctions, such that the endpoint of each
is the starting point of the next.  Is there any way to merge them into
one InterpolationFunction?  I tried myself and produced the following
program:

Merge[f1_,f2_] := Module[{Start,Stop}, Start=Extract[f1,{1,1,1}];
Stop = Extract[f2,{1,1,2}];
Part1 = Extract[f1,2];
Part21=Extract[f1,{3,1}];
Part22=Delete[Extract[f2,{3,1}],1]; Part31= Extract[f1,4];
Part32=Delete[Extract[f2,4],1];
				InterpolatingFunction[{{Start,Stop}},Part1,{Join[Part21,Part22]},
      Join[Part31, Part32]]
		];

I guessed the meaning of the entries in an InterpolatingFunction from
looking at examples, and the program does work in many cases.  But
sometimes it produces an expression that looks to me like an
InterpolationFunction, but is not treated as one by Mathematica.
Unfortunately, I did not find a full documentation of
InterpolatingFunction Objects.
Can anybody help me with this?

Thanks,
Christian