subscripted variables

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg9719] subscripted variables
  • From: "William S. Graves" <wsgraves at bnl.gov>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 00:06:14 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I would like to use variables with subscripts just like any variable.
There seem to be a couple of problems with evaluation.

Problem 1) I would like to use a subscripted variable as a function
argument, for example:

In[1]= f = Function[{Subscript[t,i]}, Subscript[t,i]^2;

Function::"flpar" :
    "Parameter specification {Subscript[t,i]} in
Function[{Subscript[t,i]}, Subscript[t,i]^2] should be a symbol or list
of symbols.

Problem 2) Another problem with evaluation:

In[1]= Subscript[t,i] = 1.0
Out[1]= 1.

In[2]= ?Subscript[t,i];

Information::ssym:
    Subscript[t,i] is not a symbol or a string.

How can I make these statements work???? Thanks,
Bill Graves (wsgraves at bnl.gov)