Re: Earth Surface Mapping Co-Ordinate Systems

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg9789] Re: [mg9753] Earth Surface Mapping Co-Ordinate Systems
  • From: Wouter Meeussen <vdmcc at vandemoortele.be>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 05:35:05 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

At 12:06  25.11.97 -0500, you wrote:

(* part clipped *)

Secondly, how about computing
>point-to-point distances?
>
>John
>jrowney at arco.com

hi John,

As it happens, I was playing with the add-on WorldMap in the
Miscellaneous part. At one point in the Help documentation, a Line is
drawn from Cairo to Capestad. I wondered if the great circle could be
drawn, but it was just a straight line "on top of" the map. Then I
looked if it was feasible to replace the line by a sequence of
"waypoints" along the great arc. I tried for a few hours, but had to
give up : it's all more complex than it looks at first sight. I will
keep the exercise for a very long rainy winter afternoon, I guess. Has
anyone done better on this yet?

wouter.

NV Vandemoortele Coordination Center Oils & Fats Applied Research
Prins Albertlaan 79
Postbus 40
B-8870 Izegem (Belgium)
Tel: +/32/51/33 21 11