Re: A very unexpected result for a Taylor Series

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg9827] Re: A very unexpected result for a Taylor Series
  • From: Paul Abbott <paul at physics.uwa.edu.au>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 05:35:40 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Wretch wrote:

> Now, suppose we call the expanded function F[q].  I typed in
>
> blah = Series[F[q],{q,0,3}] ,
>
> and it returned fractional powers of q in the alleged Taylor series. The
> output was
>
> a q^{1/3} + b q + c q^{5/3} + d q^{7/3} + O(q^{10/3}) ,
>
> where a,b,c,d are ugly looking constants.
>
> So, it truncated before it got past powers higher than 3, but what's
> with the appearance of these fractional powers? Any advice?

As the Mathematica book says

- Series can construct standard Taylor series, as well as certain
expansions involving negative powers, fractional powers and logarithms.

Here is a simple example that will lead to fractional powers of the type
you encountered:

	In[1]:= Series[(q + q^2)^(1/3), {q, 0, 3}]
	Out[1]=
	        4/3    7/3
	 1/3   q      q          10/3
	        3      9

It is clear that (q + q^2)^(1/3) does _not_ possess a standard Taylor
series about q==0.  However, the above result is still very useful.

Cheers,
	Paul

The University of Western Australia            Nedlands WA  6907
mailto:paul at physics.uwa.edu.au  AUSTRALIA
http://www.pd.uwa.edu.au/~paul

            God IS a weakly left-handed dice player