Re: math problem ???

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg9890] Re: [mg9838] math problem ???
  • From: seanross at worldnet.att.net
  • Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 00:39:39 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

T. Mammela wrote:

> i have coordinates where x-axis is in normal log anf y-axis is in log
> probability scale.
>
> Q1: What kind of function log probability is?

A guess:  When you plot a function on a log axis, what units do you put
with it?  Log[one meter] is Log[one] Log[meter] ,but Log[meter] is not
defined, but it certainly would be useful to put as the units on an axis
to let me know that the function was on a Log scale and that the
original units were meters.  My guess is that your y value is the Log of
a number representing probability, perhaps in between zero and one.

> Q2: i have a linear regression in this coordinates so what is the
> equation like for this kind of regression line and how i can solve a
> certain x-value if i know the y-value??

Assuming that the graph on your Log-Log scale appears linear, then
Log[y]=m Log[x] +b.  Apply algebra as appropriate to solve for the
variable you want.  Make certain that you test the results of a couple
of points to make sure they make sense before you trust the results.

--
Remove the _nospam_ in the return address to respond.