automated notebook creation?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg9036] automated notebook creation?
  • From: Bob Young <ryoung at SciComp.com>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Oct 1997 00:05:33 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Mathematica 3 Unix, X windows

I need to automate construction of a notebook.  The code to do it is
simple, but I need to find a way to execute the code with no human
action.  I believe this requires both the front end Notebook AND the
kernel to be running and communicating.  Once the front end Notebook
is running, the communication is normally initiated by the user
sending a Shift-Return.

How can I get the communication going WITHOUT a human to press the
key?

Thanks for any pointers

Bob Young
SciComp Inc