Saving graphics as EPS (MMA 3.0/HPUX)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg9138] Saving graphics as EPS (MMA 3.0/HPUX)
  • From: goedde at cascade.phy.depaul.edu (Chris Goedde)
  • Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 10:01:54 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

I'm using Mathematica 3.0 on and HPUX 10.20 box.  I want to save some
graphics, generated with ContourPlot as EPS to include in a LaTeX
file.

My first attempt was to use "Save Selection As -> EPS".  This creates
an EPS file that produces...nothing.  I know a fair bit about
postscript, so I poked around, tried various tricks (add a showpage,
etc), but I can't see any image.  The file looks ok, lots of lineto's
and strokes, but even with ghostscript, I don't see anything.  As far
as I can tell, it doesn't give any errors, but it doesn't seem to
render anything, either.

My second attempt was to try "Save As Special -> TeX".  This produces
a different EPS file, one that renders correctly with ghostscript.
Great.  But, the file contains a totally bogus bounding box comment:

%%BoundingBox: 101. 569. 4. 472. 468.

All I can say about this is HUH?!?  That line is invalid in two
different ways.  Anyway, I can fix this by hand, so it's not a bad
problem.

But my question remains: how do I get Mma 3.0 for HPUX to produce
valid EPS files for graphics?

Thanks.
--
Chris Goedde