Problems with Limit, Log, E

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg9149] Problems with Limit, Log, E
  • From: r.lawrence at worldnet.att.net (Robert Lawrence)
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 03:37:51 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

When I attempt to evaluate the expresssion

	 Limit[ x - Log[1 + E^x],  x -> Infinity]

I simply get back the original expression.  It seems to me that this
should evaluate to zero.

For that matter, when I evaluate the expression

	Log[E^x]

I also get back the original expression, instead of x.

I would appreciate any thoughts concerning these results.

I am running Mathematica 3.0.1 under Windows 95.

Robert Lawrence