Re: FindRoot

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg8919] Re: FindRoot
  • From: Daniel Lichtblau <danl>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 22:57:15 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

David Djajaputra wrote:
> I need to plot the root of a transcendental equation
> sin(x)=x/a,     for a from 2 to 3.
> I can find the root for each a using FindRoot. But how do I make a
> continuous plot
> using FindRoot?
> Thanks a lot!
> David Djajaputra

Maybe something like this? It will look for roots near x==2, and, as it
happens, I get a continuous graph for a in the range from 2 to 3.

f[a_] := FindRoot[Sin[x]==x/a, {x,2}]
Plot[x /.f[a], {a,2,3}]

Note that x==0 is always a root for the equation you gave.

Daniel Lichtblau
Wolfram Research
danl at