Convert Default Input FormatType to TraditionalForm

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg9244] Convert Default Input FormatType to TraditionalForm
  • From: Chee <s14985 at sp.ac.sg>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 01:00:58 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi Mathematica gurus,

Pardon me if I ask a rather basic question about Mathematica 3.0. What
does the menu selection

Cell->Default Input FormatType->TraditionalForm

really do? I am able to input a Mathematica expression in StandardForm
and then convert it to TraditionalForm. The kernel can recognise it and
process it. I can also convert a Mathematical output expression into
TraditionalForm and feed it to the kernel as input. However I am not
able to feed an input expression in TraditionalForm from the outset and
have it recognised and processed by the kernel. Am I missing something
here? Your kind help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Chee