Finding "start directory" with Mathematica 3.0 ?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg9242] Finding "start directory" with Mathematica 3.0 ?
  • From: Axel Kowald <axel at itb.biologie.hu-berlin.de>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 01:00:56 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello everybody,

I just installed Mathematica 3.0 on my NT 4 machine and wonder if there
is a Mathematica command to get the "start directory" of the current
notebook ?  I tried $LaunchDirectory, $InitialDirectory and
$TopDirectory but they all tell me where Mathematica itself lives. I
want the place where the currently running notebook sits. The idea is
that I want to write some datafiles into the same place where the
corresponding notebook is.

Any suggestions are welcomed.

        Axel Kowald