Which version for symbolic calculation, student or full ?
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg9248] Which version for symbolic calculation, student or full ?
- From: "Bluesky" <m960107m at eds.ecip.nagoya-u.ac.jp>
- Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 01:01:02 -0400
- Organization: Nagoya University Computation Center
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
Hi, everybody. Sometimes I want to do some general calculation with systems of equations, or functions that use only symbols, not with any particular numeric number. I may use the answer when in need. For example, log(x - 2*exp(a + 1 / ( x - b ) ) ) = ?? Then, when necessary, I just use the answer with some value and get the particular case. But it seems the student version of Mathematica does not allow one to do so, and I see on the cover of the full version of Mathematica 3.0 there is one or two lines that symbolic calculation is available. Is it true ? If so, it is expensive for me to buy the full version because I don't use it very often. Or if possible, please, anyone advice me to use any other mathematic software, preferred Windows version, that can do the general calculation with symbols. Thank you in advance for any advice/guide/opinion. Minh Nguyen