lost Greek letters in graphics (EPS files)

Although when I make some plots and use Greek letters
for labelling axes, when I attempt to save the plot
using the Display command in an EPS file, the Greek
letter is changed when I read the file with ghostview
or xdvi.

I'm sure that there's a simple explanation and remedy,
I just can't figure it out from the manual,...

Eventually I hope to export the graphics so others can
examine it (with the proper Greek lettering).