Re: Piecewise functions
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg8921] Re: Piecewise functions
- From: "William F. Campbell" <valentin at wam.umd.edu>
- Date: Sat, 4 Oct 1997 22:08:01 -0400
- Organization: UMD Dept. of Meteorology
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
Venkateswara Rao Ayyadevara wrote: > Hi ! > > I would like to know how to represent piecewise linear functions in > Mathematica. I tried searching on-line help but could not find any > info > regarding this. > > Thanks for your help > > Venkat I do this all the time, albeit in an inelegant fashion. Here's an example: myabs[x_ /; x<0] := -x myabs[x_ /; x>=0] := x This trivially generalizes to more complex functions -- just specify the valid domain using the /; conditional operator. However, suppose one has a spline fit on, say 100 or 1000 subdomains. How can I avoid typing 100 or 1000 separate function definitions? -- Bill Campbell Correlation is not cause.