Compiler and sending output

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg8968] Compiler and sending output
  • From: Fabian Haas <b5hafa at rz.uni-jena.de>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Oct 1997 01:59:37 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,
two question for which I cannot find an answer in the maunuals:

1) Mma 3.0 has a much improved compiler which can also handle tables and
 lists. It also gives the machine code as output. So the question is: can I
 compile a function in Mma 3.0 and transfer (or make run) the solution in
 Mma 2.2. That might sound complicated but I dont want to buy 3.0 with all
 the problems, besides I dont have the time to get used to the new menus etc
 right now.

2) is there a way to separate  the graphics code from its output, so that
 the code is in notebook one and the graphics output is send to notebook two

That, as I think, has some advantages when you work with animations or need
 epsecially large graphics. Essentially this would make Mma more suitable as
 programming environment, I think Gaylord suggested that some tome ago
 discussing about GUI. (I am aware of the capabilities of $Displa and
 Displayfunction, n#but that goes to files and not to note books)

Thank you for the help

Fabian

Dipl.Biol. Fabian Haas, MPhil
Institut fur Spezielle Zoologie und Evolutionsbiologie
Erbertstr. 1
D-07743 Jena
b5hafa at pop3.uni-jena.de
http://www.zoo.uni-jena.de/~fabian/