Mathematica on BeOS

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg8546] Mathematica on BeOS
  • From: aljawad at kuwait.net ('Net Surfer)
  • Date: Sat, 6 Sep 1997 23:16:13 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I hope this is an appropriate post in this NG, which I thought this might
be of interest to users of Mathematica who are interested in getting the
program running on new platforms, it might also be of interest to BeOS
users. BeOS is a modern operating System developed by Be Inc.
(www.be.com), it currently runs on some Power Macintosh machines and soon
it will be available for the Intel platform as well.

I recently inquired from Wolfram Research (suggestions at wolfram.com) about
the possible availability of Mathematica for the BeOS.

Here is part of the responce I got:

Wolfram Research is always interested in exciting new platforms that have
proven to be commercially viable. The BeOS is still very much in its
infancy. Thus, we do not currently have conclusive evidence of its
long-term marketability.

However, several of our developers are extremely excited about the
platform. In addition, it would appear that a small but enthusiastic
group of users is working hard to ensure the success of the BeOS.

This combination of circumstances has led to an informal collaboration
between Be and Wolfram Research in which the potential for a port of
Mathematica 3.0 to the BeOS is being explored.

There is no way to be sure when, or even if, such efforts will ever lead
to a releasable product.

Rest assured that it is input from users and potential users such as you
which drives the development of Mathematica. As such, we encourage you to
continue to make your enthusiasm for Mathematica on the BeOS known to
Wolfram Research and Be.