  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg8804] MatrixForm
  • From: Kent Day <kentd at>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 12:26:40 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

I am new to mathematica and am having a problem understanding the way it
uses MatrixForm. The manual says it only affects the look of the
equation and not the way it is processed however if I use it I get
"strange" results.

all yield different results. Only the first one being what I would've
expected i.e. a new matrix {{a11+b11,{a12+b12} etc.. the last one gives
the strangest result in which is each element of b is added to the
entrire a matrix.

any suggestions? also, once a function is in matrixForm as in
f=MatrixForm[a] how can I get f back into list form (is there a ListForm
kind of command?)

if you reply could you cc my email

hkowalc at

Henri Kowalczyk