Re: Bra-Ket

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg8480] Re: Bra-Ket
  • From: Jason Harris <j.harris at phys.canterbury.ac.nz>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Sep 1997 16:15:20 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi All,

In article <5tu311$29h at smc.vnet.net>, SiposG at aol.com wrote:

> Would anyone happen to know how I can implement true bra-ket notation in
> Mathematica 3.0?  Of course, I could just write Bra[Psi] and Ket[Psi], but it
> sure would be nice to actually write <Psi| and |Psi>

Look at the Notation package written by me. Its included with the
Mathematica distribution. You can see a demo of it under the help browser
-> getting started -> Demos -> Notebook Demos -> NotationMaker. (You can
get the latest version from http://wolfram.com/~jasonh/Notation.html)

As far as true Bra-Ket notation... the Notation package will allow you to
easily display these things but the input is not as nice as I would like
it to be. Right now you enter something like Ket[Psi] (and possibly the
rest of your expression) and then select the cell and convert it to
standard form (cmd-shitf-N).

Hopefully later versions of Mathematica will have the hooks in places
which would make it possible for me to extend the notation package to
allow easy entering of such things e.g. to make Esc-ket-Esc change into a
ket, exactly like Esc-a-Esc would change into an Alpha.

As for entering |Psi> and having Mathematica recognize this as a ket, this
is just not possible (Yet). The default precedences of the characters |
and Esc->-Esc do not allow for the proper grouping that is necessary. To
change this would require resetting the default precedences of these
characters. You can of course change precedences individually by using
TagBoxes.

If you want this explained in more depth just email me.

 Cheers,

    Jas