Re: importing images

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg8556] Re: [mg8503] importing images
  • From: seanross at
  • Date: Sat, 6 Sep 1997 23:16:21 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Al Arduengo wrote:
> Greetings everyone,
>         I am trying to utilize Mma 3.0 in my Image Processing course and have
> run into a bit of a snag. It seems that it can DISPLAY many forms of
> graphics, but I wish to be able to, say, import a 8-bit grayscale *.gif
> file into mma as a matrix of grayscale values. The same would apply to
> jpeg, tiff, and bmp files as well. Has anyone done this or is there a
> kind soul who could shed some light on this subject for me? Thanks in
> advance.
> --
> Al Arduengo
> exal at
> 1:387/310.4
>      Version: 3.1
>      GE d(-) s: a C++ UL+++>$ P+ L++ E+>$ W++ N++ o? K--? w>$ !O----
>      !M-- !V PS+ PE+ !Y+ PGP+ t+ !5 X+ !R- tv+ b++ !DI- D G e++ h----
> -----END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

Unless you know the internal structure of the graphics files,
Mathematica is incapable of doing what you want by itself.  With the aid
of a shareware program called Paintshop Pro, (, you can
convert over thirty kinds of graphics files into one another.  The
easiest to read as integer data are RAW (which is just a list of
numbers) and PGM(which is a small text header and a list of numbers) or
PPM(which is a small text header and a list of triplets indicating RGB