LinearProgramming question (speed problem)

  • To: mathgroup@smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg11908] LinearProgramming question (speed problem)
  • From: scoffey@eecs.umich.edu (Sean Coffey)
  • Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 00:33:09 -0400

Can anyone help on how to use LinearProgramming for not-so-small
problems?

I have a program with about 80 variables and about 120 constraints,
everything real.  This just sits for more than a day on every machine
I have tried it on.  (I have run Mathematica 2.2.2 on a PowerMac 8000,
and Mathematica 3.0 on a fast mainframe here.)

The next smaller version, with 64 variables and 90 constraints, takes
just a few minutes on the mainframe.

These are pretty small linear programs, so is there some memory limit I
need to raise, or a faster version of the LinearProgramming command?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Sean Coffey