Numbered Equations?

Has anyone had success in getting the numbered equation cell type to
actually be numbered in the notebook?

I've tried every possible permutation of the options that deal with
automatic numbering increments, displays, etc....  All I've been able
to achieve is a "(/)" appearing where I would expect an equation number
to appear if I change an empty cell to a number equation and then paste
my equation into the empty cell.  There is no documentation in the
system for any of these various options.

Wolfram: If you're going to make it damn near impossible to cut and
paste into text processing documents, please give Mathematica
documented text processing features.  Your text processing is almost as
bad as you mathematical processing is good.

Jazz