*June
*July
*August
*September
*October
*November
*December

running calculations in a batch mode

How can I launch Mathematica jobs in background? I would like to be able
to set up calculations that take long time and log out of the system. I
am using SGI (IRIX 6.4). Currently the program is written as
Mathematica notebook; does it have to be rewritten as a plain file or
one can evaluate the definitions using the Front End, and then quit the
Front end leaving the jobs running?
thanks you very much
Tatyana Polenova