Re: Sqrt Problems

PAUL REISER wrote:

> Forgive me if this is a simple question, but I am trying to get  "1" out
> of the following expression and I can't seem to figure out how:
>
>         u = Sqrt[a+I*b/a] * Sqrt[a^2+I*b] / Sqrt[a]
>
> Is there a package I'm missing or something?
>
>         Thanks -
>         Paul Reiser

I don't see why your expression should equal one.

I think it is equal to + or - (a + I b)/a.

The best mathematica will return even using ComplexExpand, FullSimplify
etc, is Sqrt[(a^2 + I b^2)/a^2]

The only way I could figure out to get it to simplify assuming reals is
with the package RealOnly.
--
Remove the _nospam_ in the return address to respond.