New Notebook looses focus after first keystroke

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg14984] New Notebook looses focus after first keystroke
  • From: hanssen at zeiss.de
  • Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 03:59:05 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi, Mathgroup,

I am experiencing a new strange behaviour of Mathematica (Vers 3.0.1.1x)
on Windows NT  (Service Pack 3, if that matterrs).  When I open a new
notebook (File/New), the newly created  notebook immediately has the
windows focus, i.e. its title bar is blue. This is definitely, what I
want. But then, if I want to write something (e.g hello), only the
first character (in the example  'h') is entered into the new notebook.
Untiteled-1 immediately  looses focus (the title bar is  painted grey,
the focus returns to Mathematica - [Untiteled-1], i.e. to the the
parent window).

The other keystrokes of 'hello' apparently are discarded. In order to
continue writing hello into  the new notebook, I have to use the mouse,
click into the new notebook and then continue  writing. - This is
annoying. - I don't know, if this strange behaviour was always the case
or if it  is new (e.g. after manipulatging Options with
OptionInspector).

Does anybody know, how to influence this strange behaviour? Any Idea, if
there is any OptionInspector or Init.m or MenuSetup.tr - item, which
controls it?

Best Regards

Dipl.-Math. Adalbert Hanszen

Abteilung/Department: