Re: batch notebook evaluation

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg14986] Re: batch notebook evaluation
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 03:59:06 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
On 28 Nov 1998, Gianluca Gorni wrote:

> Anyone knows if we can evaluate notebooks in batch mode?

There is no way to do this in the sense that you are speaking of.

> I know that you can feed Mathematica kernel plain text files (package
> format) in batch mode under unix. But what about for example having a
> notebook with long computations and elaborate layout of the output. It
> would be nice if we could have it evaluated over the weekend and be
> able to check the results in the same notebook, just as if we had been
> running the front end all along.

See Roman Maeder's book _Programming In Mathematica_ (Third Edition) for
information on the extra package ProgrammingInMathematica`NotebookLog`,
which allows you to store the output from a batch calculation in
notebook format as well.  The package file itself is installed with the
rest of Mathematica, so you don't need to purchase or download
anything.

> By the way, the menu item "File : save as package format" does not work
> on my system (MacOS 8.1, Mathematica 3.01). The line breaks make a mess
> of the syntax. The "auto generated package" option does work, although
> I quite don't understand its sub-options. If I set it to "manual", how
> do I tell Mathematica to generate it when the time comes?

There is a problem with the setting Manual.  It prompts the user for
confirmation as one would expect, but the contents of the notebook's
initialization cells are stored in a file name Manual.m rather than a
file of the same base name.  See the archived posting at URL:

	http://x5.dejanews.com/getdoc.xp?AN=321271557

for a step-by-step walkthrough how to use the option value Automatic
instead.

--
P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group           paulh at wolfram.com Wolfram