Re: Re: Way to evaluate D[(1-x^2)y''[x],{x,n

Jurgen,

Rather in a hurry: Now I understand your question, glad to see that  it
was not really a question.

Your proposal is a real improvement. Obviously there is something in
Mathematica I do not understand. I had the idea that when Mathematica
returns the original command, it will try to use other (in this case
its own) rules. I was inspired by some Mathematica output of the form

Integrate[.....] -> If[ condition, 12, Integrate[.....] ]

where the third argument of If is identical to the command. But it  does
not work in this way, as your example (and a similar one from  one of
my collleagues) shows. I have to think it over.

Many thanks,

Fred

(PS I just noticed that my private reaction to you was on the mailing
list. I do not understand how that could have happened, anyway I
apologize.)