Combinations

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg15181] Combinations
  • From: edsferr at uol.com.br
  • Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 02:10:58 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello !

I'm not sure if what I have is a difficult or an easy problem...

Let L be this list : L={1,2,3,4,..,n} Let LNT be a list of all the
combinations of the n elements in list L when you take t elements. We
get LNT using KSubsets[L,t] Let u be an integer so t < u < n
Let LNU be a list of all the combinations of the n elements in list L
when you take u elements. We get LNU using KSubsets[L,u]

Let's take one element of LNU: Due to the fact of t < u , this element
of LNU "contains" exactly u!/(t!(u-y)!) elements of LNT when you take t
elements of it.

The question is: How can i get the shortest list of elements of LNU so
we can "have" all the elements of LNT "inside" of this list ?

Thanks !!!!!!!!!!!