List of Matrices

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg15246] List of Matrices
  • From: Peter <phuesser at bluewin.ch>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 03:58:37 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I have the following sequence of commands:

In[108]:=
s=IdentityMatrix[2]

Out[108]=
{{1,0},{0,1}}

In[110]:=
ss[1]=s

Out[110]=
{{1,0},{0,1}}

In[111]:=
ss[1][[1,1]]

Out[111]=
1

In[112]:=
ss[1][[1,1]]=3

Set::setps: ss[1] in assignment of part is not a symbol."

Out[112]=
3

Why can I read the entry ss[1][[1,1]] but can not change its value ?
What do I have to do to change this value ?

Thank's (once more) for any help

                                                    pedro