Re: mathlink program hanging in MLAnswer

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg15282] Re: mathlink program hanging in MLAnswer
  • From: kevinl (Kevin Leuthold)
  • Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 04:39:36 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

John,

A MathLink program can hang at this point under quite normal
circumstances.

MLAnswer is a function that consists of a loop that reads packets off
the link to Mathematica, and deals with these packets, until the link
has been closed or there's an error on the link.

When a MathLink program is hanging inside of MLNextPacket within
MLAnswer, it means that the program is waiting for some input from
Mathematica. Once such input arrives on the link (usually because the
Mathematica  user called a function Installed by the MathLink program),
the call to MLNextPacket should return.

Your program will execute the loop in MLAnswer until the link is closed,
or there is an error.  Under normal circumstances, this will happen
when the Mathematica user Uninstalls your program.

Kevin Leuthold
MathLink Group
Wolfram Research