How to change the argument of a function?

  • To: mathgroup@smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg10783] How to change the argument of a function?
  • From: Vilis Nams <vnams@nsac.ns.ca>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Feb 1998 00:58:28 -0500

I want to define a function that in the course of doing something, also
changes the value of its argument, for example: f[x_]:=Module[{},
x=2*x;
]
When I run the function, I get the error: "Set::setraw : Cannot assign
to raw object  ...." Can this be done in some way?

Vilis O. Nams
Dept of Biology, NSAC
Box 550, Truro, NS,  Canada
vnams @ nsac.ns.ca