Once again: ReadSoundfile-Bug

I've searched DejaNews, WRI- and mathsource-sites for a patch or
workaround of the long-known ReadSoundfile-Bug in Audio.m without
success. I even tried to modify the function myself but couldn't get it
work.
I need to process exclusively 16 Bit 44100 KHz .WAV-files for some
Fourier-analysis with Mathematica 3.0.1 on a WinNT4 system. Converting
to 8 bit and/or lower sample rate is no option. If a new
Audio.m-package has not been released  yet, perhaps someone found the
error(s) in the code and could come up with a fix?

Thanks, Charles
Remove "_nospam"from email address to reply.