Re: Random Order of a Set of Numbers

  • To:
  • Subject: [mg10885] Re: Random Order of a Set of Numbers
  • From: Paul Abbott <>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 20:15:18 -0500

JD Faith wrote:

> I'm a math moron looking for a formula to compute the following
> problem: I need to generate a random list of the numbers 1-36, 33
> times.  The idea being to replicate the drawing 0f the numbers 1-36
> from a hat 33 times.

You could use any of the RandomPermutation* functions in the
Combinatorica package:

In[1]:= <<DiscreteMath`Combinatorica`

"RandomPermutation[n] gives a random permutation of n elements."

"RandomPermutation1[n] sorts random numbers to generate a random

"RandomPermutation2[n] uses random transpositions to generate random \

In[2]:= RandomPermutation[36]

The University of Western Australia            Nedlands WA  6907  AUSTRALIA

            God IS a weakly left-handed dice player