Sorting of Data Lists

I have two equal length vector sets of data.  I wish to form a third
vector  whose elements are the minimum values from each component of
the other two  vectors; i.e., if a(i) < b(i), then c(i) = a(i), else
c(i) = b(i).  I have  tried many different methods within Mathematica
3.0 and have not been  successful.  I would appreciate any suggestions
as to how to accomplish this  task.
Thank you.

Dr. Christopher J. Freitas
Principal Engineer - Computational Mechanics Southwest Research
Institute
Voice: 210-522-2137, Fax: 210-522-3042