Unpredictable effects of comments

I use Mathematica under Win95. I put lots of comments in my code, but
sometimes find that Mathematica ignores either the (* or the *). This
happens most often when I start an Mathematica session, running cells
in a file that I had saved. Once in a session, it sometimes happens,
but less often. Unfortunately I cannot predictable replicate this
Anyone else have this problem? Any known solutions?

Vilis O. Nams
Dept of Biology, NSAC
Box 550, Truro, NS,  Canada
vnams @