Performance under Win95

  • To:
  • Subject: [mg11093] Performance under Win95
  • From: Sebastian <>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Feb 1998 14:55:18 -0500

 I have recently installed Mathematica 3.0 on a new Pentium II system
 with Windows95.  While the performance was surprisingly good compared
 to even an Ultra-Sparc system, I was quite disappointed to find that
 an identical Pentium II system with Linux or Windows NT4 performed
 TWICE as fast.
 I am used to the fact that Windows95 is about 20% slower than NT, but
 a factor of two is unacceptable.  Maybe Win95 is bad, but I  assume
 that Wolfram research simply didn't care to make their product run
 under Windows95.....??
Question:  Is there any way to speed up MATHEMATICA 3.0 under Win95??
 (I know there was a similar problem with Mathematica 2.2, which ran a
 lot faster under Win 3.1 than under Windows95)
 Best regards, Sebastian
P.S.:  do not hit reply, but mail to sebaste at instead.