Simplifying Derivatives

I am computing symbolically derivatives of orbit equations.  The answers
are coming out correctly but how do I keep it from substituting what
various symbols are equal to ? (E.g., r = sqrt(x^2+y^2+z^2); I just
want to see r in the answer and not the expansion) Thanks.

Steve Crumpton
Systems Engineer, Raytheon